Part 1 - Leak Investigation
One evening we found some drops of water coming down out of a light fixture. Not good. An investigation was underway shortly thereafter. Fortunately, the water was not leaking from the roof but rather just some old unused ducting that had been left in the attic from when the old heating system was replaced with ductless heat pumps.
Notice how the ducting was removed from where it attached to the ceiling below.
The actual amount of water that had leaked out was quite minimal but the investigation revealed a potential ticking time bomb. The insulation surrounding all this old unused ducting appeared to have become damp as indicated by the wood beneath it.
|Starting at T split of the main duct.
|One side gone.
|And the other side gone.
|And the other side gone.
|Removing the last branch
|The end of the T terminus before it was cut off.
A Look Inside
The dark area further down the duct wasn't mold it was simply the result of using the flash on a cell phone camera. But the water drops along the top of the duct are still clearly visible.
Investigation Results Confirmed
The water trapped in the surrounding insulation is also clearly visible. As is the bucket that was needed to catch it as it flowed out.
Part 1 of the duct removal took place during a snow storm which left close to 1.5ft of snow outside.
Cutting the ducting into smaller pieces and throwing it down from the attic was only half the battle.
|The garage was littered with old nasty ductwork.
|Bye Bye Bagster 1
The Saga Continues
The removal was continued the following weekend. Starting with an auxiliary duct that ran the same length as the original T duct.
|A look at the inside of the round auxiliary duct.
|The wood beneath it.
|Clearly it needed to go.
|A duct worm coming out of the ceiling.
|The duct worm trying to eat my ladder.
|The duct worm blocking my exit.
It was not feasible to remove every part of the ducting since some was integrated into the frame of the house. For those sections, they were sealed off and left to die.
The Bucket in the Closet
The large ducts below the others that lead to the closet in the garage were also on the hit list. I didn't want to need a 3rd bagster.
|They were very stubborn and wedged in tight.
|Looking down into the storage closet where the heating units would have been at one point.
|I ended up cutting along the top so it could be folded inwards and then slid out.
Saving the best for last
In retrospect, thinking that it was simply a dead end was wishful thinking.
|The last section to remove and it didn't want to budge.
|A downward connection can be seen towards the back.
|The connection up close.
|I wonder where it goes.
Ice Ice Baby
One factor that made all of this possible from the start was that the outside temperature was well below freezing for the entirety of the project. Most of the water in the ducting was frozen until after it was removed making the experience slightly less unpleasant.
The End in Sight
|A long way down..
|Sealing the basement vent.